What Do You Do If You Suspect a Slab Leak?
One of the most stressful things that you can encounter with your plumbing is if there is a slab leak. A slab leak is when a leak forms in the pipes underneath the foundation of your home. Many people ask, “Is a slab leak dangerous?” and the answer is that it can be, depending on how severe the leak is. Not only can it damage your foundation and yard, but it can also mess up the floors in your home, cause your home to smell musty, and even create mold infestation. In order to avoid these things from happening, it’s important to know when you have a slab leak. That might be easier said than done since we aren’t able to see slab leaks, but there are physical signs that develop that will let you know whether you have a slab leak in your home.
- Pooling Water: Water from the leak will start to collect under the foundation, but it will eventually start to pool in unexpected places.
- Water Pressure Decrease: If there is a slab leak that means that the water trying to flow through the pipes won’t be able to travel through if there is a leak in the pipe. This can cause a decrease in water pressure.
- Hot Spots On Floor: Random hot spots on your floor might be due to the fact that the hot water line has a leak. It takes time, but the hot water will heat up the foundation, which will then heat up the floor.
- Warped Hardwood/Damp Carpet: When water from a busted pipe collects under the foundation, the only place it can really go is towards your flooring. This can cause your carpet to become wet and your hardwood floors to warp.
- Cracks in Walls/Foundation: Water has the power to cause cracks in your foundation, as well as interior and exterior walls over time.
If you think that you might have a slab leak, the most important thing you can do is call a plumbing contractor. They will be able to perform slab leak detection services to determine if you have a slab leak and then repair your pipes if there is in fact a slab leak.
What Causes a Slab Leak?
We know that a slab leak occurs when the pipes under our home’s foundation start to leak, but it can be hard to determine the cause of the leak. There are a ton of reasons why a slab leak forms, with one reason being the pipes being really old. Old pipes tend to corrode, which can cause leaks over time. Another reason is abrasion, which is when the pipes rub against the surface of the foundation, causing them to leak. The soil shifting can also cause the pipes to shift and this can put pressure on the pipes. In addition to corrosion, abrasion, and pressure, unprofessional construction can also cause slab leaks.
What Is Slab Leak Detection?
Because your slab leak is located in the pipes under your foundation, you can’t exactly see if a leak is present. The best solution to see if a leak actually exists is by investing in slab leak detection. Slab leak detection is a non-invasive way for plumbers to determine if you have a slab leak. There is slab leak detection equipment such as camera inspections, electronic amplification equipment, electromagnetic pipeline locators, and pressure gauges that make it possible for plumbing contractors to find the slab leak and then repair it right away. A lot of people ask, “How does slab leak detection work?” and that all depends on the particular method that is used to detect the leak, but basically the equipment is set in the pipe to figure out if a leak exists. Depending on the equipment, the plumber will be able to see or hear that a leak is present.
What Happens If You Don’t Fix a Slab Leak?
Slab Leak Detection and Repair
When you don’t take care of a slab leak right away, the minimum that can happen is that mold starts to grow where what starts to pool and odors will form because of the mold. The worst that will happen when you don’t repair a slab leak is that it will ruin your yard, damage your flooring, and cause a lot of devastation to your foundation. By calling a plumbing company for slab leak detection services, you can prevent these things from happening in your home. Just like if you had a roof leak repair, you would want a roofer to come out and repair it, so contacting a plumber is your best bet in getting rid of a slab leak. For slab leak detection, call Slab Leak Solutions! We can perform a plumbing inspection in Fort Worth, TX that will use slab leak detection technology to find the slab leak. If we find that there is a slab leak, we will repair it right away. Call us at 817-281-5325 to make an appointment.